Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Well Ghana gave it their all, but just couldn't put it past Brazil. To be honest, I'm not too surprised. That said, I think Ghana showed a lot more class than many of the other teams in the World Cup. I don't know if it was because they were playing the reigning champs, or because they had nothing to lose, but they were the most congenial players I've seen so far. Almost all of them helped up the Brazilian players they tackled (whether the Brazilians wanted to be helped up or not!), they congratulated the Brazilians on good plays, and rarely spent time rolling around on the ground in theatrics. That said, there were a couple obvious dives, particularly towards the end in an effort to get a penalty kick which didn't reflect so well on Ghana, but on the whole I found them to be much classier players than many of the European teams. I also watched the France v Spain game last night, and although it was exciting, any time someone went down there were screams and anguished faces and appeals to the officiators, regardless of the degree of contact (I guess they've never read about the boy who cried wolf). I know it's a part of playing the game, but I'd rather they just get on with it... even Henry, who is a player I usually respect had a questionable fall which led to France's second goal. But look at me, talking about football as if I know something about it! Then again, sometimes the outsider's perspective is the most helpful...

Since I'm doing assessments late at work tonight it means I didn't start til 1, which allowed me to have coffee with Matt at Blackwell's earlier in the day. It made for a good beginning to the work day, and made me think that maybe I should try and organize some sort of breakfast meeting sometime this summer. I was also looking forward to coming into work today, mostly because our Internet access is down at home and it meant I could e-mail and blog :P

That's about it from here...more this weekend (if not before) as England take on Portugal in the quarter finals...

2 comments:

Jim said...

Look at you... commenting on football like a true pundit, knowing nothing and everything.


I can see that in four years time you'll be glued to the BBC World Cup site once again.

Chris said...

Cheering on the likes of Uzbekistan or some such, no doubt...