Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Thank You!

I've believed it for a while, but now I have proper, scientific backing! So there!

It should be noted that my lack of hygiene is due more to laziness than principle, however for a while now I've perceived that folks who are obsessed with keeping clean and taking medicine tend to be ill more often than those less fussed by it. Up until now I didn't have anything to back my own observations, but you can be sure I'll quote this study the next time someone brings it up!

And while we're on the subject, let me tell you why I think that washing your hands after peeing is ridiculous:

a) If I touch my elbow, you wouldn't expect me to wash my hands when I was finished. Therefore, why, after touching a different part of my body (arguably, the part I keep the cleanest!) should I be expected to wash my hands?
b) Men, at least, should be able to complete the process without getting urine on their hands, however even if this were to occur, urine is a sterile liquid! According to wikipedia (the grand authority on all things in this world), urine can be used as an antiseptic in the absence of more traditional methods. An antiseptic is a substance that prevents the growth and reproduction of various microorganisms on the external surfaces of the body! In other words, IT HELPS TO CLEAN THINGS!

Which is not to say that washing your hands is a bad thing. Certainly they get all kinds of junk on them throughout the day. But y'know what? I shower...it does a pretty good job of cleaning my entire body! I really believe that the concept of washing your hands after taking a leak is a social construct which is a hang-up from ancient days when certain practices were considered 'unclean.'

So, there you have it. More than you wanted/expected to know about me this morning. Let the comments begin.

PS: Let it be stated that taking a dump is an entirely different matter altogether.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, when I said there were more 'interesting things to think and write about', this wasn't quite the worldly subject I had in mind Chris!

But having read the article you referred to, let me assure you that you were exposed at an early age to a ton of dust (I never had time to get rid of it back then) and to all the snotty-nosed kids in child-care. That being said, the article refers to being exposed at an early age and you, on the other hand, still have allergies to dust which means you'd be healthier now if you cleaned your home more often:):):).

As for washing my hands often, these days I'm just trying to prevent myself from picking up the major germs that everyone else is carrying and sharing.

Now following on your argument, I hope you know that if you get lost in the forest or are drifting on a raft in the ocean with no fresh water to drink, you are supposed to to drink your own pee to survive(as long as you are still producing it).

Enough said!

Kyle said...

Oh, my.