Friday, June 16, 2006

British culture

I came into work this morning and had a really awkward discussion with my female co-worker about the World Cup match last night. Not awkward as in 'uncomfortable' but more as in 'neither of us have any idea what we're talking about.'

e.g.:
"Did you watch the match last night?"
"Just the last 35 minutes."
"Oh, that was the best part! I guess..."
"Yeah. Oh, hey, I'm really surprised they got that 2nd goal."
"Oh right. Yeah, that was unexpected."
"Yeah. So I guess they're moving on to the next round."
"Really?"
"Yeah."
"Huh."

In other news, we have been listening to BBC Radio 1 at work on a daily basis, which at first I thought was really nice, but after a week I'm already sick of their song rotation. So today, when I have a spare minute (I actually have stuff to DO today...) I will list the songs they play far too often. Here is the beginning of the list, off the top of my head - expect it to grow throughout the day:

  • the new Jack Johnson single
  • the new Snow Patrol single
  • the new Streets single
  • the Mylo remix
  • the Michael Jackson remix
  • the Hawaii Five-O theme song remix
  • the monster song
  • the Is It Any Wonder song
  • the Come On Over Valerie song
  • Chili Peppers - Dani California
  • World Hold On (the one with that annoying whistle in the beat)
  • Don't funk with my heart
  • Fall Out Boy
  • The I Like the Way You Move song
INTERMISSION: I went to the new Fopp in Oxford during my lunch break and found that Douglas Coupland has just released a new book!! Even though my ass is broke, I put that £9 on the credit card and am looking forward to reading it. It appears to be very untraditional and super creative...I can't wait! Ok, on with the list:

  • the Light Up, Light Up, Light Up song (NOT Snow Patrol, the other one)
  • the Is It Any Wonder song AGAIN
  • Chemical Brothers - Galvanize
Ok, so I got busy at work and couldn't add any more songs, but let me say that I heard all of the above AT LEAST two times today, not to mention previous days. Man, it's brutal. And in better news, I'm a couple of chapters into JPod and I'm LOVING it!! I'm sure that anyone would enjoy it for its existential themes and its unique-ness, but it is totally geared towards the computer geek and he references all kinds of stuff from Baldur's Gate to Nigeria E-Mail Scams. He even spells one word in ASCII! Amazing. I can hardly put it down...in fact I might even finish by the end of this weekend...

2 comments:

MP said...

Chris!!!!!
You were totally in my dream last night. I can't exactly remember what you were doing, but you were there, and I was trying to travel somewhere or something like that. There was also a talking typewriter with orange ink. Who knows.
At any rate, I want to travel like you. This whole Canadian scene is getting old. Ho hum, eh.

Chris said...

Make your dreams a reality! Go to Croatia! Talk to typewriters! Dreams can come true!