Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Photo Op and Nothing More

Odd to think that I was walking around up there exactly one month ago today.


Apparently, according to Mr. Bush, Iraq and Hungary have a lot in common. Right. I'm sure Iraqis are looking at Hungary - of all places - with jealous eyes, saying to themselves "Y'know, one day we could be just like them!"

My favourite quote however, is this one:

But, he said, Iraq's democracy was still under threat from "determined enemies".

"Defeating these enemies will require sacrifices and continued patience, the kind of patience the good people of Hungary displayed after 1956," he said."

Right, well, it took them another 34 years before Hungary officially shrugged off the USSR and became a Republic, so what does that tell you about the state of Iraq? *sigh*

The BBC article also points out that despite being an official member of the EU for the last 2 years, "the good people of Hungary" are still unable to travel to the US without a visa while older members of the EU are. Which makes it pretty clear what the American government REALLY thinks of Hungarians... Basically, the trip is all bullshit...hell, the man's whole presidency is bullshit...

4 comments:

Kyle said...

I'm sure I don't know what you're getting at...

Chris said...

Sorry, was I overly-subtle? :P

Anonymous said...

People from the Czech Republic need a visa to enter Canada. But not the other way around since the Czechs entered the EU. I don't know if things have changed since the Czechs complained and threatened Canada (with what, I don't know.)

Anyway, the Hungarians are probably a lot more happy to see Bush than Chris. Even in a dark alley.

Anonymous said...

One brings money and power, the other brings understanding and peace. Which would I choose to have visit me??

I know which one is more articulate and honest!