Monday, June 26, 2006

Next Steps

So my time in England is coming to a close. I have about 2 months left on my UK Working Holiday Visa, give or take a few days, which has been leading me to think about the next step I take.

I have really enjoyed the last 2 years here, and feel that they have been (with the exception of my early childhood) the most formative years of my life so far. I have learned so much about myself and the world around me that I couldn't ever have hoped to learn by staying in my native country, and for that I am thankful. I have also made some lasting friendships and connections with countries across the globe for which I am also very thankful. All that said, I feel like my time in England has been very much about me. Which isn't a bad thing at all, in fact, I think it was necessary for my personal development in many ways. That said, I feel like whatever my next step is, I should be contributing more than I'm taking away from it. Or at least as much as I'm taking away from it. Which again, to mitigate, isn't to say I haven't contributed here in England, but on the whole I feel as though I've taken away more than I've put in. Which, to reiterate, isn't a bad thing for now, but it would be a bad thing if I continued living my life that way. Is that enough disclaimers for you? I guess it goes back to that notion of 'seasons' and I think I'm moving into the next one.

Therefore, I am weighing several options when it comes to what I do next. I don't feel like publishing them all in a public forum such as this, but if you ask me privately I'd be glad to tell you all the different possibilities that I am considering. There's many different factors to take into consideration: I love Europe but I miss my friends and family, I think I should go to grad school but maybe not yet, etc. etc. Regardless of the outcome, I will be sad to leave my community in England but at the same time am looking forward to something new. Jim said in his talk at hOME last night that he heard that those who go through change more often are more likely to see it as a good thing (whereas conversely, those who don't, tend to see it as a negative thing) and I thing there's something in that. I suppose I've gone through enough now that I look for the positive aspects in making such a transition.

I'd like to close with the theme song from Who's The Boss? (which you can listen to here) I never particularly liked the show, and I'm sure the song was written by a bunch of suits trying their hardest to appeal to a middle-America viewing demographic, however I think there's something slightly ironic and painfully po-mo in adopting it for my own circumstances:

"There’s a time for love and a time for living.
You take a chance and face the wind.
An open road and a road that’s hidden
A brand new life around the bend.

There were times when I lost a dream or two.
Found the trail, and at the end was you.
There’s a path you take and a path untaken
The choice is up to you my friend.

Nights are long but you’re on your way
To a brand new life,
Brand new life,
Brand new life around the bend."

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Guh. That was corny.

Chris said...

Clearly you're NOT the boss!