Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Sunshine in Iceland

I want to blog about the weekend before it slips too far from memory. Not that anything exciting really happened, I just wanted to share.

So after seeing Sigur Ros a week ago, I got online and started looking for more about them. I found out that they're one of those great bands who encourage people to record their live shows and trade them freely (you can find links to download shows from their official board here)

I was also really impressed with the band who opened for them (and also happen to be their string quartet) Amiina. So I started getting some of their live shows too, which led me to other bands from Iceland, and before I knew it, I spent the weekend immersed in Icelandic songs! Mum, Emiliana Torrini, and Bjork among others...so much talent from such a small place! Next time I cross the atlantic, I will definitely plan a stopover in Reykjavik (even if it is horribly expensive).

So Saturday I mostly wasted in bed. It was really sunny and nice outside, and I kept planning to go out for a walk, but just never got around to it. Sunday morning it started out chucking rain, so I thought that was gonna be it, however by the afternoon it was bright and sunny again, so I loaded up my mp3 player with my new tunes, and headed out on a walk. Originally it was just going to be exploring the side streets, but eventually I came across the Cherwell river in Marston and couldn't stay away! However, as previously mentioned, it had rained heavily, so the water level was high and even broke the banks and some parts! Not planning on a hike, I was wearing only my trainers. While I managed to avoid mud and dampness for most of the walk (sometimes by daringly crossing wobbly logs) eventually I came to an impasse, where the only choice was to cave and give in to the inevitable soaker. Thankfully it was near the end and it didn't ruin my spirits too much. Actually, it was the sense of defeat, more than the soaking wet feet which bothered me the most :P

And such was my weekend. Nothing special, but enjoyable nonetheless. On a sidenote, Amiina are opening a show for another band around King's Cross, London a couple days after Easter Monday. Tickets are a tenner, anyone up for it? I can give you some live stuff (for free!) if anyone from these parts is interested...

4 comments:

Kyle said...

You're right, that wasn't very interesting. :-P

Anonymous said...

One Easter weekend (in grade 5 I think) I did a project on Iceland and have always wanted to go there since then! Maybe some day!

Did you bother to scrape the mud off your shoes this time?? Seems to me that I rescued a pair last June :):)

Anonymous said...

Did you make it to the show in Kings Cross?

It was quite a spectacular one. I'm going to post some photos from that show on the Amiina fansite as soon as I get a chance. :)
I didn't get a chance to see Adem because I was stuck at the merch stand, but I'm told he wasn't all that great.

In any case, it's great to see yet another Amiina fan! It's a growing phenomenon.
Don't forget that they're supporting Sigur Rós in Southampton on July 11.

Chris said...

I didn't make it to the show, unfortunately! I really wanted to, but I messed up bus routes at Luton airport when I was returning from Dublin for easter weekend which meant spending the night on the floor of luton. After that, I just didn't have the energy to take to and from London to see a show the next night :(

Oh well, perhaps in July!!