Saturday, April 22, 2006

On (de)constructing a Worldview

So recently I've been thinking/learning about something and I tried to share it with Erin last weekend and for whatever reason, feel compelled to share with you folks now, and that is responsible dialogue....listening to other people....having an open mind...seeing two (or more) sides to a story.

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm an idealist of the highest sort, and I greatly admire passion. And I'm not trying make the case here for relative truth. There are things that I believe in and have strong opinions about, however never to the point that I would ignore or overpower another person's views on the same subject. That's what really bothers me: when people take a position and stick to it NO MATTER WHAT.

I remember reading about a scientific study in one of my religion classes in university (and I should really find out who it was by cuz I talk about it all the time) but the gist of the research was that in the face of overwhelming evidence against them, most folks would hold onto their beliefs until they reached a tipping point upon where they finally acknowledged that they were wrong, thereby destroying their entire worldview and mode of operating within reality.

What I'm suggesting is that perhaps there is another way. Rather than accepting a finished product (be it religious beliefs, political systems or whatever) why not build it as we go along, making changes and corrections as necessary? That way if one aspect is found to be wanting, it can be removed or reconfigured without destroying everything else along with it.

Now I realize that this is all terribly postmodern (and perhaps, painfully Canadian) of me. I also understand that it is likely to be an unpopular view due the constant reflection and revision (read: WORK) that is necessary when compared to accepting something 'as is' and never considering it again, but then, I'm not really sure where people got the idea that life was simple and could be waded through uncritically. Although I have a vague notion that this comes from (or at the very least, is reinforced by) the economic system we have created for ourselves...

I am aware that another pitfall of the approach I am suggesting is that it comes across sounding academic and therefore elitist. However, one need not have a high IQ to be able to think through the consequences of the decisions they make.

All right, so this is all a bit airy-fairy and not very practical, but that's how I write best. These reflections come from watching various people around me live and operate based on worldviews they have not critically considered. And honestly, I'm not using that as a euphemism for any one group...I'm thinking of people I know. Evangelical fundamentalists/literalists AND catholics with fervant support for the Pope.....the folks who I saw marching down the high street today protesting the Oxford animal lab AND the self-proclaimed right-wing racist who works in my office...sports fanatics who just can't see the penalties their favourite teams commit...nationalists...anarchists....

Now I understand that these people already have lots to do and don't want to think about existential matters any more than they have to, but to quote the Hip "no dress rehearsal, this is our life" I mean, you don't get another one. The things that make you tick...those that affect the decisions you make - that's all you get.

So I implore us all, can we please just try and listen more carefully to each other? Maybe in hearing diverse opinions you will discover that you were wrong, but that's hardly the end of the world - we've developed this foolish notion that always being right (and even moreso, appearing right in front of others) is somehow more important than developing our character and growing as human beings. And y'know what? Maybe hearing someone else's differing opinion will only serve to reinforce your current one. At least you are considering all of the available information.

All right, so calm dialogues aren't nearly as entertaining as wild-eyed speeches or shouting debates, but they are certainly more respectful and, I would argue, more helpful in the long run.


But enough pontificating from me. As per the content of this entry, I encourage you to post your comments below and I will consider them with fairness and equality.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To Professor Langston:

Sir I am fascinated by the things I learn in your blog-class each day. You challenge me, and all of us, to think hard and to stay open.

I once heard the Right Rev. Dr. Robert McLeod (former moderator of United Church of Canada and missionary in China) speak when he was in his 90's. He said if you weren't learning something everyday then you were already dead!

My point is that we have to be open to hearing new information and trying to assimilate it with what we already know and feel. I would argue, in fact, that this is how we develop as human beings.

I also heard quoted recently a study (wish I kept the source) that suggested today we get more information about the world in one New York weekend newspaper then most villagers in rural communities of the past century received in their entire lifetime.

That being said, I wonder if in this internet-age of instant world news and views, are we getting so flooded with huge and varying amounts of information that we can feel quickly overwhelmed and de-stabilized and unable to assimilate other opinions fast enough to 're-construct' our own platforms on which our lives can safely be rooted/ anchored?

Could that be one reason for trying to create a 'bubble' around us that allows no controversial opnions or information to enter.

And finally sir, I hope you will keep these wonderful postings from your blog for your first lectures or book of musings when you become Dr. Langston because it is painfully obvious to all of us that your destiny awaits you and frankly I for one, want more of it!

P.S. If this is what you can write and think at age 24, what can the world look forward to as you develop your writing, film making, lecturing, preaching, etc... over the next 60 years!!!!!!

From your biggest fan! And I'm allowed to be because, believe it or not, I've spent 24 years listening to you :):)

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same as your Mom about you needing to go back to school. I think this might be a good topic for a PHD or MA ? Do something with this, its a great passion of yours