Tuesday, February 01, 2005

A Social Life?!?

A social life?!? How'd I get one of those?? I'm still not sure...

I was walking home from Allders today (where I bought a bedside lamp and space heater) when I saw a sign for a local poetry slam tonight being put on by Hammer & Tongue. I remembered hearing that a bunch of people from my new church/community, hOME were involved in helping to organize and run the shows, so I thought I'd go check it out. As an added bonus, it is held at the Zodiac which is a club that is literally a 90 second walk from my house...also, this was the 'big one' apparently...it was a competition between 4 different teams: one from Ireland, one from the UK, one from the USA and finally one from Canada. So, after just happening to see the poster, I decided that I'd go check it out. Meanwhile, I continued walking home when I saw a girl with a Canadian flag on her purse. I scooted up beside her and asked what part of Canada she was from... she said Toronto, and we just got to talking from there. It turns out that she's a Christian who goes to the parent church of my little community (the church is St. Aldate's) and she invited me to go along with her and some friends to see Nelson Mandela speak in London this Thursday! (see details for that here) Awesome! but random.....or was it?

Anyways, I went to the poetry slam and had a blast! I found a bunch of people from hOME pretty quickly and I met a bunch more new people! All the poetry teams were really good, but I think I did like the Canadian team the best...and not just because they were Canadian! The Americans actually won the competition, and they were quite good, but I thought the Canadians were just a wee bit better. Anyhow, here are links for two of my favourite poems from the competition. The first is from an American named Taylor Mali. You can read the poem here, but half of a poetry slam is the performance, so you should really listen to it (it's called "What Teachers Make"). The other one was by the Canadian team...I bought their CD, ripped it from that, and uploaded it to my website...I hope they don't mind. You can hear the MP3 by clicking here. [edit] I had to take the MP3 down cuz it was taking up too much space, sorry! [/edit] Man, I friggin' love that poem! (and not just cause it mentions the Trans-Siberian!)

Ok kids, thus ends another entry. Still no word on the job front :( I gotta hit the temp agencies soon, but not before going to hang out with Nelson in London ;)

No comments: