Saturday, February 26, 2005

Content

That's 'content' as in the mood, rather than 'content' as in the subject matter of a given thing.

I'm just really happy with life these days...my friend Jim has gone away on a skiing vacation in Vermont for the week, so he gave me the keys to his place! This means I'm getting a solid night's sleep, rather than being interrupted by drunken hooligans yelling at the XBOX in the room next to me. This is especially appreciated when I have to work early in the morning. Speaking of work, it's going well. Today was crazy though...it was my first Saturday shift. Now I know how they afford to pay us, it was non-stop business! My co-workers are really friendly though, and it's nice to be constantly busy rather than bored...and there are enough tasks (steaming milk, doing dishes, bussing tables) that one can do mindlessly if one so desires. They're also sending me home with boatloads of free food...kilos and kilos! It's great, I may never have to buy another meal again (unless I want some vegetables or something, but y'know...) Now there's only so much fulfillment one can get from serving coffee for a living, but for the moment, it's great...it keeps me busy, pays me, and dishes out free food...no complaints there!

Last night I went to see a British indie band called The Wedding Present at the Zodiac with Rich. They were amazing! I'll definitely be picking up some of their stuff...for folks back home, they're playing Lee's Palace in the T-Dot sometime in April, I can't remember when exactly...I highly, HIGHLY recommend making the trek to see them...so very, very excellent! Afterwards we headed to Po Na Na to celebrate Martin and Gareth's birthday. We met the birthday boys as well as Jon, Ollie and Jules among others...danced until 1 or so, and then headed home...a good time was had by all. Today it was the crazy nearly-9 hour shift, then right after work I went to Anita's place to watch Pleasantville with her, Justice, Alberto and Emily...it was chilled, but just what I needed after a long day of work. Now I'm at Jim's listening to a live version of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and getting ready for another full day tomorrow.

So yeah...life is pretty good. I was telling the boys in my huddle on Thursday night that I finally feel like I'm planting some roots here...it's the first community I feel like I've really been involved in since the end of high school, and that's a great thing. The fact that I'm able to list all those names up there and refer to them as 'friends' really says something...something pretty awesome!

More to come shortly, I hope...

No comments: