Monday, February 14, 2005

No go!

Well, I couldn't find the Valentine's day party! The directions that were given to me were fine, and looking at a map now, I must have walked right past the road several times, but I just couldn't seem to find it! I walked around for like an hour...I forgot my mobile phone at home so I couldn't even ring...in the end I just came home and watched Wimbledon with my housemates, drinking beer and eating popcorn. But you know, to be honest, I'm not at all disappointed...after walking around for an hour I didn't really have energy left to meet people any how, and it wasn't like I knew anyone there, so they won't have missed me. And besides, now I have a bottle of Bailey's all to myself :D

So while I was walking around looking for this place, I was thinking about how easy it is to be bitter on Valentine's day if you're single, and yet, there are probably people who are a lot worse off...I thought about the people in a dysfunctional relationship who wanted nothing more than to get out of it, but couldn't do it because it's Valentine's day, and now they're kicking themselves for not leaving sooner and end up spending all kinds of money on gifts and a fancy restaurant which is ultimately empty of meaning and only making things worse by prolonging the charade....i thought about people who were recently widowed and how seeing all the romance marketing and the couples together must painfully remind them of their deceased loved one...and i thought about those who are in love with someone who is in love with someone else, and how much that would suck....

Ok, so technically those last two would be considered 'single' as well, but if you're not in any of the above categories, then you should consider yourself lucky....yeah, everyone wants someone to share their life with, but that person isn't going to be your saviour...and as nice as a good relationship is, it's not the answer to life, and if you're looking for fulfillment, then after a while, even in a good relationship, you'll continue to search for that 'something else...' Don't be bitter, enjoy your life, you only get one!

No comments: