Sunday, February 27, 2005

Degenerating into incoherent metaphysical ramblings

oy! I worked for 10 1/2 hours today, and it's depressing to think that I have to be back there for my next shift in only 8 hours from now, but on the plus side I earned around $125 CDN today! After work, I went to the pub for a pint with Rich and Alberto, and just hung out for a while. Alberto was telling us about how he's planning to take a 2 week vacation soon in France and Belgium, and it totally got me stoked for traveling again. He said by booking a month in advance he got a bus ticket from London to Paris and back again for only £25! I still have trouble believing I'm not in North America any more...I mean, I guess being within driving distance of Paris or Brussels or Amsterdam is like being in driving distance of NYC or Chicago or Montreal back home, but over here the cultures are so radically different from one another...and the amount of history is unparalleled in North America.

Speaking of North America, I've been having lots of 'flashbacks' lately...it doesn't seem like an adequate description, but I'm not really sure what to call them. It's not Deja Vu, because they are specific memories....strong memories that have been coming back to me. But not in a sad, homesick kind of way....more in a positive, nostalgic kind of way...does that make any sense at all? Like a smell that reminds me of camping at the Pinery, or a cafe that reminds me of a road trip I took with Matt, or European-style walk up apartments that make me think of my summer in Montreal...there's been tons of these in the last few days, and I'm not really sure why. Like I said above, it's not that I 'miss' these things particularly, I've just been frequently reminding myself of my past...if that's possible. I guess it's all part of my recent identity issue(s) and trying to determine how my life experiences have contributed to who I presently am, and how I ended up where I am/did. But again, this isn't a hugely participatory quest on my part (only to a small degree)...it's kind of an unconscious effort that I seem be going along with. Does any of this make sense? This is likely all the incoherent metaphysical rambling of an overworked and overtired human being. I'll leave it at that and perhaps post more when I figure out what the heck I'm thinking/talking about. Or when I turn 23 years old on Friday and it suddenly all becomes clear to me ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At church today, Orville preached about parenting, basically bringing it all down to teaching your kids to love themselves, love other, love God.

He also referred to your child's life being a canvas..you supply the canvas and the child creates the picture on it.

Or in your case, I supplied the books and you read them or I supplied the empty notebooks and you filled them with your own writing.

Or I supported you in getting a part-time job and you bought your first movie camera.

He finished by talking about parents having God-filled hearts and modelling in our behaviour what we want our kids to do.

It all seemed to relate to your metaphysical ramblings and yiour love for travel :)