Friday, March 10, 2006

WONDERFALL!

HOLY CRAP! I just discovered the series Wonderfalls. It is absolutely fantastic! It's about a 24 year old university graduate who goes to work at a tourist shop in Niagara Falls and starts hearing things from stuffed animals which tell her how to help people. Now, I'm sure this appeals to me for many reasons, not the least of which being the fact that my home is 15 minutes down the road from Niagara Falls, that I'm a 24 year old graduate who works a minimum wage job, and that I like stuffed animals (unfortunately, none of which talk to me). It pretends to take place on the American side (supposedly to appeal to the American television audience) but it's clear to anyone who's ever actually been that it's all on the Canadian side (indeed the whole series was shot in Canada, starring many Canadian actors) and it's fun to pick out the locations I recognize from real life. But on top of that, the writing is fantastic. Each episode I've seen so far has actually made me laugh out loud several times, which is no small feat! It can also be very poignant as well.

So why did I not hear about this sooner? Well, apparently Fox, in its infinite wisdom, only ever aired 4 episodes and then cancelled the series (as it does with so many good series - Family Guy and Arrested Development to name but 2....it's a well-documented fact that they nearly cancelled 24 during the first season) but thankfully they released the whole first run on DVD, so an entire 13 episodes are available. They're not available in the UK but thanks to the interweb, I've got em all! I will DEFINITELY be picking up this DVD set next time I'm home. I might even get a region 1 copy shipped over the pond. It is SUPERB! I can't recommend it highly enough!

PS: According to good ol' Wikipedia, it can be found in the UK on Sky One/Mix (that one's for you jim!)

No comments: