Thursday, March 30, 2006

Langford: 1 PC Speaker: 0 !!!


I've been stuck in my own little corner again...a different one this time. If I'm lucky, I'll get to stay here all next week, cuz it's my bosses desk and she's on holiday.
However, with a new desk, comes a new computer...and new challenges.

---
WARNING: SEVERE GEEKING ABOUT TO BEGIN
---

So the computer at this desk doesn't have its sound drivers installed properly. This means that instead of using windows sounds when something happens, it defaults to the beep of the PC speaker. Unfortunately on this particular machine, the beep is rather loud. As well, the software I have to use to do my job has boxes popping up and beeping all the friggin time...I'm talking like 100 per minute (if I'm working hard).

Of course, the simplest solution would have been to properly install the sound drivers and then mute it all, but I don't have an XP disc handy.

So this morning I started poking around on the web and found a couple more simple solutions (check them out).

However, since the only login I have is a user account and not an adminstrator, I wasn't able to change any of the device driver settings, so those solutions didn't work for me.
I wasn't to be defeated though! I thought about other options, including a floppy boot disk, but in the end, I found a simpler solution in a quick registry edit! (Interested parties can find it here) A few taps of the keyboard and a quick reboot later, and it was quiet as a....well, something that doesn't make any noise. A giraffe or something? I don't know. What I do know is that I was victorious!

3 comments:

Jim said...

arrrrhhhhh... it's the small victories that make life worthwhile. yesterday one of my colleagues danced around the room having cleared his in-box!

richard said...

a goldfish is pretty quiet. except when it is being fried.

Kyle said...

Whoa. That's some serious geek.