Sunday, December 18, 2005

Why I need a new job

Yesterday I went to in to work, despite it being my day off, to cover for my friend who was too ill to get out of bed. Now, I didn't have to do this, but I was the only person who could (all the other keyholders have left for christmas). Ultimately it made my friend feel better since she didn't have to come in, and the manager feel better since he didn't have to work a 14 hour day.
This is fine. I don't mind doing this because I hope that they would do the same for me if the situation were reversed. However, now I don't have another day off until Wednesday, which means today was day 5 in a row of 7.

This morning, a woman pulled the old "but I gave you a 20" routine. I told her that I was pretty sure she gave me a 10 and that we could take her number and she could come back at 1 when we cash up and see whether or not we were up or down. She became very rude and we got into a row about it, however during this time the queue was building and there was only one other guy working. In the end, I threw the 10 pound note on the counter, slammed the till drawer shut, and walked away. Sure enough when I was cashing up in the afternoon, we were £10 down. Now I've lost 2 hours of my wages because she is either stupid or evil.
Thanks a lot. Merry Christmas bitch.

Then, around 1:30pm, the guy who was supposed to come into work at 11 calls me to say he has the flu (fakes a cough) and says he won't be in today. Or tomorrow. I say fine, and tell him to call back and tell that to the manager when he gets in at 2:30. And I slam down the phone without listening to anything else he has to say. Of course, this wouldn't be an issue if the manager had hired more people to cover shifts, but he hasn't. And since most of the staff are gone for Christmas, that means we're pretty much screwed. He could hire more people now, but it usually takes a week or two to get the hang of it all. It wasn't so bad without him today because business was rather slow, but tomorrow all the kids will be out of school and people are going to be shopping like mad, so it's supposed to be one of the busiest days of the year. The girl I'm scheduled to be working with is good, but it will be her first shift in months since she's been away at university, so she's not exactly 'fresh.' And really, you need 3 people to close properly, so that means the two of us will be there for an extra hour or so to make sure everything gets done. Thanks a lot jackass.

And after all of that, I will still have another shift before I finally get a day off on Wednesday. Great.

This is why I need a new job...not just because of the stress, but because I hate the person it turns me into. I used to be light-hearted. I used to have faith in humanity but now I'm cynical and distrusting. I'm always on the lookout for the next person to steal 10 quid from me, or for someone to let me down cuz they just don't feel like upholding their end of the bargain. I hate being that bitter...I hate seeing the world through those lenses. I want to be able to dream again. To see the good in others and not always worry about my own well-being. To care and to make a difference in the world. Right now, none of that is happening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isaiah 40: 29-31

Jeremiah 29: 11-13

Psalm 25: 4-5