Friday, December 09, 2005

Meeting God at the pub

Well, I was having a rather shit day today so I decided to nip across the street for a pint of beer during my lunch. Now, this isn't really allowed, however the manager wasn't in today and there were other keyholders there, so I figured I could get away with it. And I can't tell you how much it helped the rest of my day.

As I was sitting there, the song Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve came on the stereo. I've heard it many times before, but the first verse really struck a chord with me today...

"Cuz it's a bittersweet symphony, this life,
trying to make ends meet, you're a slave to money then you die."

It just made me think about why I'm on this planet and what I'm meant to be doing with my life. It made me realize that working in the coffee shop is just a temporary means to an end... that there's so much more out there. When I got back to work I decided to put on the new U2 cd (which also really isn't allowed, but again, I'm so much the better for it) and rocked out for the afternoon.

I'll be back there in 10 hours from now to open up, but then at 3pm tomorrow I am off until Tuesday afternoon, so it isn't so bad. I think I'll spend most of my free time applying to new jobs...and exploring my own sense of wonder.

Langford out.

No comments: