Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Chocolates, beer and waffles, man those Belgians have their act together!

Well, I'm back from my quick jaunt to Belgium. I gotta say, my soul feels refreshed... I think I just need that jumpstart every now and again to keep me going. The weather in Brussels on Monday was gorgeous, so much so that I spent a couple of hours in a t-shirt in the park, drinking beer and eating chocolate (the way every monday should be spent!) but the real kicker was Bruges...man that's a gorgeous place! It rained in the afternoon, but I just sought refuge (and Belgian beer) in a little pub on the water, and it was perfect. The sun came back out just in time to set and I had a lovely walk around the city before catching the train back across the channel. I think I might have liked Bruges even more than Venice...maybe.

Speaking of which, I think I'd like to take part in a new hobby. I use that language specifically because I don't actually do this yet, and I'm pretty sure no one else does either, but here it is: urban canoeing! That's right, canoeing through world famous cities! But it's tricky because you have to find places where you can easily enter/exit the water as well as see lots of the city. Bruges and Venice are definitely on the list, but I don't think it would work in cities like London or Paris or New York or Montreal where the river is too big and really only has one path. I want options, and I want to be be able to tour the place from my canoe, so that's gotta be like moats and canals and stuff. Does anyone know of any other places in the world where this would work? Feel free to leave suggestions in the comments section. Also, if anyone would like to join in my urban canoeing adventures, let me know and I'll sign you up! I need at least one more anyway.

I took lots of pictures, but I'm afraid I won't be able to post them until I get my laptop back, whenever that may be. Actually, I could probably have them put on CD...or just use someone else's computer. We'll see. At any rate, have a somber Good Friday, a joyful Easter Sunday and a relaxing Easter Monday. I'll be working all of those days, but dreaming of Bruges. God bless all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I first canoed on Kitchener pond but since you are over there, I suggest you consider Amsterdam.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I too am keen on urban canoeing. I'd also recommend Leiden in Holland for this. Other Dutch towns such as Utrecht and Delft may be worth considering too. I also gather Hamburg has an extensive canal network.

Cheers,
Ed