Monday, March 05, 2007

On the Subject of Blogging...

Through a series of unexpected events, I have recently been turned on to some new, fantastic blogs. Not that I don't enjoy reading about what my friends are up to, but there's something very interesting in reading about a complete stranger's life and their views on it -- even more so when they do a good job of documenting it.

Which has gotten me thinking more about this blog right here. I started it when I first moved to the UK in Sept. 04 as a way of keeping in touch with friends and family back home. I absolutely downright LOATHE mass e-mails that people send with updates of their lives and had no desire to inflict that horror upon the ones I love. I figured that those who actually cared about me would bother to look up a website a couple times a week and those who didn't, wouldn't. It morphed a little bit from there, as I would throw in a little political commentary or share something interesting that had been shared with me, but that was about it.

Ok, so here's the part where I pull back the curtain and reveal the SUPER-DUPER, BRAND-NEW, ULTRA, STEP UP OF MY BLOG!!!! Except I'm sorry to say that's not going to happen. What *is* going to happen -- at least, I hope -- is that I will be a little more intentional about my blogging efforts. I purposely never set a goal or target for my blog because I always wanted it to be something I enjoyed. If it ever felt like a chore, well then that would kinda be self-defeating. Nevertheless, there is something to be said for a little self-discipline (an area I've never particularly excelled in), and I find I do get quite a lot of satisfaction out of putting my thoughts into words...often I don't realize how therapeutic it is until after I've done so. I'm finding it particularly difficult to write lately -- there's something about the combination of a full-time job and the Canadian winter that just zaps the life outta me. And yet I've realized this is really the time I need to write the most.

So I'm still wary of throwing down a specific number or tangible goal, but just know that inside there has been a significant shift. And that's about the best you'll ever get from me -- sorry, it's just how I roll.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could blog about hibernating!

richard said...

Most of us sad bastards who have a blog go through the phase of wondering what it's all about, why we're doing this, who we're doing it for. And to be honest, it's a good thing that we sad bastards do. If it's becoming a chore, if you're only doing it to make sure that you get a larf out of your readers, or to make sure sure that your readers come back, then you're probably doing it all wrong.

A friend of mine called Wendy would love the fact that you're being intentional about it. She's big on intentionality...

Anonymous said...

What do you need to make an effort for? You have a picture of a camel on your blog. That right there encourages people to stay and read.

Or take up smoking.

Kyle said...

I think it's important that everyone try harder not to bore me.

Oh, and happy birthday. :0)