Monday, March 19, 2007

Bum Rush the Charts

Ok, I realize this is only 3 days away, and that I don't exactly have a large audience, but I wanted to share something with you nonetheless:

I will be participating in Bum Rush The Charts on Thursday, March 22nd. You can get more detailed info by clicking on the link, but the premise is this:

On March 22nd a large group of people will be protesting the evils of the RIAA by purchasing a specific song by a specific artist (Mine Again by Black Lab) through the iTunes Music Store in an effort to make it hit #1 that day and show the record labels that the days of their stranglehold on the music industry are finished and the independent artists combined with new media technologies are ready to take over.

I realize that this isn't quite like standing in front of a line of tanks at Tiananmen Square and I don't believe it's going to change the world overnight. Nevertheless, I think it is a powerful message to send to the record labels and symbolic proof of what grassroots, independent efforts are really capable of achieving. Therefore I urge anyone who cares about such things and who has iTunes installed to participate this Thursday.

PS: If anyone's afraid this is a get-rich-quick scheme for a band, you can see the money break down here and check the whole website for a lot more info.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How's it doing on the charts today (Thursday)? Is it working?