Sunday, March 04, 2007

221

Today was my 25th birthday. Unlike 16, 18, 19 and 21, the only thing that happens at 25 is that your car insurance rates go down and most big rental companies will let you borrow their vehicles. I guess the whole 'quarter-of-a-century' idea is a big deal too, but I hypothesize that's only because we live in a culture founded on the decimal system. For example, if we only had 3 fingers and 3 toes, it is likely that we would function on a base 3 system, and in Ternary, today I would be 221 -- that's not a very special number now is it? (next year, 26, would be 222 and that would be kinda cool...) I bet in a ternary society, the big celebrations would be every 9 years (100, 200, 1000, etc.), and 81 would be huge (you're 10,000!) After all, us human beings are often just silly creatures who attribute false importance to symbols we arbitrarily create....


NEVERTHELESS! I had a wonderful 221st birthday! I had brunch in the T-Dot with all of my family members and their significant others (minus my cousin Greg whom we all missed cuz he's living out west!) It was a great meal and good to spend time with everyone since I haven't really had the opportunity to do so very much in the past 2 years. Hanging out with my family is always lots of laughs. Afterwards, my mom and I did some birthday gift shopping at the World's Biggest Bookstore, followed by Sam the Record Man and MEC, where I received a light-weight, one-man tent named Big Agnes (although having set it up in our living room, Matt and I reckon you could squeeze two men...er...people inside. Whether we actually tried this or not, I will leave up to your imagination). Hopefully she will see me through Coachella as well as future adventures. Then it was back down the 401 to Waterloo for a relaxing Sunday night at home. All in all, a pretty darn good day, if I do say so myself! Happy birthday to me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!