Wednesday, July 26, 2006

One book

Thanks to Kyle for hitting me with this one, however in order to make it more interesting, let's assume that the Bible and my journal are not contenders...

1. One book that changed your life:
Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club (admittedly I saw the film first)

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
Nancy Shaw, Sheep in a Jeep (I must've read this book hundreds of times! I'm 24 years old and I can still recite the first few pages from memory)

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
Various Authors, The Encyclopedia Britannica (Is that allowed? It would certainly keep me busy. If I had to choose just one volume, it would be 'S' - cuz it tends to be the biggest, and most interesting. Alternatively, How to Survive on a Deserted Island: The Illustrated Edition or some such would probably be useful as well.)

4. One book that made you laugh:
Douglas Coupland, JPod (most recently....I also considered using The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

5. One book that made you cry:
Erlend Loe, Naive. Super (it's funny and really touching...I highly recommend tracking down a copy)

6. One book that you wish had been written:
Jesus of Nazareth, In My Own Words

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf (Who knows if it would have changed history at all, but it certainly didn't help things. I should mention that the runner-up in this category is The Da Vinci Code. Let me clarify that this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the subject matter of the Da Vinci Code, indeed the only reason I continued to read the damn thing was BECAUSE of the subject matter...no, my beef is with the fact that Dan Brown is a HORRIBLE WRITER and in my opinion he does not deserve the success he has been given. I would have LOVED to have read these ideas constructed and construed by someone with talent.)

8. One book you’re currently reading:
Philip Pullman, Northern Lights (or 'The Golden Compass' as it is titled in North America...as my farewell to Oxford)

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
Catch 22, Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the Flies, Slaughterhouse V, etc.
(There's a lot of modern classics I've yet to hit)

10. Now tag five people:
Quite honestly, anyone I've linked to in my sidebar over there --->
is more than welcome to consider themselves 'tagged'

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

'sheep in a jeep on a hill that's steep....'

richard said...

1: The Miracle on the river kwai by ernest gordon. NOT the bridge on the river kwai by pierre laval. TMOTRK is a wonderful story of courage and conviction in true adversity.
2: Dr. Dog. It's the story of a dog that is a doctor and a grandfather who blows up a toilet. for ages 2-5 and 20+
3: a really long classic. maybe those brothers karamazov. the encyclopedia is abit of crap option, isn;t it, Chris? I mean, it's like Gareth from the Office...
4: See number 3.
5: A lesson before dying by ernest gaines. a retarded black kid goes to the chair in the south. i read it, i cried, and i read it again. a book that i wished didn't end, for so many reasons.
6: why i chose to stay out of politics by GWB? let's just all get along and put the guns down by GWB?
7:The bronze horseman by Paullina Simons. OK, so it not existing won't chnage the world, but it makes the da vinci code look like Pulitzer prize literature. I don't begrudge Dan Brown, give the man some credit for finding a market that wants crap and then making that crap sell. In some ways I think good luck to him. But the bronze horseman was utter drivel. IN the words of an aussie i met, it's a shit book. Don't read it. Oh and maybe Mao's little red book.
8: if nobody speaks of remarkable things by jon mcgregor. ok, so I bought it in an airport from WH SMith, but it is very very good. poetry, not prose.
9:Guns germs and steel by jared diamond. i borrowed it from idris about 18 months ago and i really should stop reading the other books on my shelf and read it. or just give it back. And maybe the koran.
10: nah...

Anonymous said...

take a look at this.

http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/pages/4787.shtml

richard said...

Ok, the S volume of the britannica is legit. But what about just getting Robinson Crusoe?