Tuesday, January 10, 2006

More Malta

Well, Rich did what I was intending to do. Click here to see more pictures from Malta. My camera is on the fritz so all the photos were taken expertly by Rich himself.

Regarding Malta, I should add that while it was a neat place to explore, I'm in no rush to return. While we were there Rich commented that it all looked quite run down, and I replied that on a scale of first, second and third world, Malta was kind of a 1.5

Everything was this yellowish-brown colour and it all seemed to be cracked and slowly crumbling. I don't know, maybe it's different in the summer or maybe I'm just spoiled having grown up with access to the vast Canadian wilderness. At any rate, it was a good trip and an eye opener. I always love learning how people live in other parts of the world. And I must admit that the temples absolutely blew me away. They were unfathomable...as we were walking through them I was trying to use my imagination as to what the people must have been like who built them but I couldn't do it. I realized I have absolutely NO context for what life must have been like 5000 years ago. The idea that people even existed back then, it does my head in. Here's some more pictures of the temples (click em for the bigger version):











3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having shown the pictures to a few folks, the question raised was what kind of stone/rock was in Malta? Do you know the geology of it? As in sandstone, limestone, etc????

richard said...

most of it is limestone between 7 and 30 million years old. It is very rich in fossils. It is a chunk of the Mediterranean seabed that is being pushed up by the collision of the Eurasian and African plates.

Chris said...

right. that's EXACTLY what i was going to say. exactly.