Monday, September 20, 2004

Tuesday Sept. 21/04

Back in Tunbridge Wells for the day, seeing as I have the day off. Weekend was pretty exciting...read Saturday's entry below for more details. Sunday was the service and then the community sports day. This basically consisted of all the local sports club (football, cricket, stoolball, tennis and volleyball) members getting together with the kids in the village and playing all of these games on the field in the middle of the village. Sorry that I didn't take any pictures, but it really wasn't that exciting. Slept in on Monday and then met with Paul for 2 hours in an 'official' manner and talked about a schedule for the year, etc. Had dinner with the family and then I moved out of their house! Actually, I'm just down the road. I'm staying with a wonderful lady named Rose who lives right beside the gatehouse (see previous map for details). She is alone in a big old English house, but often rents rooms for lodgers, boarders or people who need a retreat. She doesn't attend the church because it's style is too old and stuffy for her, but she is a committed Christian who cares about the environment, world peace, and other important things. We've had some good chats already! I think the parish is paying her for me to stay there, so I'll probably only be there for a couple weeks (until one of the other families is ready to take me in), but it's quite lovely, and nice to have some space to my own, away from noisy children ;) I might get some pictures of the place up soon, but who knows.

So I'm back in Tunbridge Wells again today, because it's only 4 1/2 pounds for a return trip on the bus. I suppose I should have spent the day wandering around the village and getting to know the place, however there will be plenty of time for that. In related news, Paul is looking at equipping his house with wireless broadband access, so once that is available, I won't have to run off to town to connect and update this site. Another reason that I came is that it's nice to see people closer to my own age, as I spend the rest of the week with adults over 30 and children under 15 (although Rose has told me that a bunch of 20-something South Africans work at one of the Hartfield pubs, so I should go check that out soon!) So there, that's my excuse for taking off again today. I've taken pictures of the pantiles and the town today, but I can't transfer them to my computer yet...I'll do that when I get home and put them in the next update.

Ok, I guess that's it for now...I'm loving the UK and the village is all right too. I'm looking forward to getting into a regular routine and to start actually making a difference. I'm also gonna look up some info on courses while I'm on the net and see if I can get enrolled somewhere soon.

I love you all, and hope that you're doing well. Let me know how you're doing (hint hint) although be aware that it might take some time for my response to get to you (being that I can only connect to the net every so often) God bless!

-Chris