Tuesday, November 15, 2005

My Canadian Hero

I just read this quote from Douglas Coupland and it rang so very true. It's not something I had really considered before, but I think it's quite accurate:

"Canadians also know darn well that, more often than not, our existence suits the Americans. We're indeed their back door, their underground railroad, their matrix - or whatever metaphor you choose. In some ways, if the war of 1812 had gone differently and North America was one big United States, the Americans would have had to invent Canada as a diplomatic construct, precisely for all the alternative strategies and options our presence affords them."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Open Sores Media launches tomorrow
"We're deliberately trying to do something new by affiliating blog and mainstream people," said Roger L. Simon, a blogger and the venture's co-founder. In other words, Roger L. Simon wants to be a middleman ...
http://www.massachusettsinjurylawyers.com

bg said...

I know this is three years on and you may have no recollection, but do you happen to have a citation (however rough) for that quotation? (I see the two comments above me are spam, but I swear I'm not!)