Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A little perspective, please...

According to the CBC, well, I don't know how to summarize, just go scan this story quickly.

Now, to be fair, I am not a parent. I have no capacity to begin to imagine what it must be like to lose a child. I also have no idea what it would be like to discover that said child's brain was not incinerated with the rest of him. However, I don't understand how getting $15,000 from a hospital is going to right this wrong.

Who decides on these values anyways? $15,000 seems like such an arbitrary number. Missing a liver? $7,000. Missing the left arm? $22,000. Again, all my sympathy to the father for losing his son but $15,000 is not going to bring him back to life, and it's going to be taken from an institution that would otherwise be trying to help people. Surely there is a better solution to this conundrum. To me, this story just underlines how we've all become driven by money and really care little for one another.



As a PostScript, to give you a better understanding of my worldview; I guess I've also never really understood the whole 'respect for the dead' thing either. I mean, to me, a body is just a vessel which carries the soul, which is really the 'consistency' of a person - their love and hopes and dreams and fears and personality traits and all of that. So I don't really understand why people venerate the carcass after the true 'person' has departed it. It would be like giving an old car a nice, pretty paint job before taking it to the junkyard - nonsensical. Celebrate the person, not the thing that contained them. Just my 2 pence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I asked at least $1M for your brain and then when I got your brain back I'd put it on display because it would be so enormous that everyone would want to see it and I'd get part of the ticket price for everyone who came through and I'd arrange to display it around the world and I'd go with it and ....... :)

love....Mom